Abbas Kazerounian, Esq.
Abbas Kazerounian is one of the founding partners at Kazerouni Law Group, APC, and the Injury Recovery Group. Mr. Kazerounian’s areas of specialty are personal injury, consumer rights and class actions.
In 2013, 2014, 2015 Abbas was selected by his peers as a rising star and in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 as a Super Lawyer (a prestigious recognition given to only 2.5 percent of the attorneys in the state). In 2020, Abbas was also named to the SuperLawyers Top 50 in Orange County and SuperLawyers Top 100 in Southern California. He was also voted as a Rising Star by the San Diego Daily Transcript in 2012. Abbas was honored to be on the list of The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 under 40 in 2016 & 2017.
Abbas has litigated over 3000 individual consumer rights cases and is regarded as a one of the preeminent consumer rights attorneys in Southern California. His depth of experience and knowledge in this practice area along with his trial skills, make Mr. Kazerounian one of the premier advocates within this field of law. Abbas has been responsible for over 650 published opinions. He has successfully argued before the Ninth Circuit of Appeals on numerous occasions, including in the landmark case of Knutson v. Sirius XM Radio, No. 12-56120 (9th Cir. 2014). Abbas is currently litigating numerous other cases in the Ninth Circuit Courts of Appeal.
Abbas attended the University of Plymouth, U.K., where he received his Bachelor of Arts in English literature & theatre and performance. He then received his masters from the prestigious London Academy of Performing Arts. Subsequently Mr. Kazerounian received his Juris Doctor from California Western School of Law in San Diego, CA.
Abbas is an adjunct professor of law at California Western School of Law where he teaches a three-credit course in consumer law. He also lectures nationwide on class action litigation and consumer law.
Abbas is licensed to practice law in CA, TX, IL, WA, DC, NY, MI and CO. He is also licensed in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals as well the United States Supreme Court.
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- California Western School of Law, San Diego, California
- University of Plymouth, United Kingdom
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts
- Major: English literature & theatre and performance
- London Academy of Performing Arts
- On Two Feet and Wings, 2013
- The Boy with Two Lives, 2015
- Finding A Balance, Nutrition Business Journal, Special Edition, 2016
- Principles of Litigating Consumer Class Actions, The Advocate, February, 2015
- FDCPA: The Forgotten Statute, Daily Journal, 2016
- Principles of Litigating Consumer Class Actions, The Advocate, February, 2015
- Collateral Damage, Beyond the personal injury: When Creditors and collection agencies stalk your client, Plaintiff magazine, 2017
- The Impact of Epic Systems Corp. v. Lewis: How Arbitration Will Impact Consumers Going Forward, The Gavel, 2018
- Material Considerations When Screening For A Class Representative, Plaintiff Magazine, 2020
- Spoke at ABA National Convention on TCPA, ABA, 2013-2016
- Consumer Law — Adjunct Professor, CWSL, 2013-2016
- Speaker at the 2014 ACA Conference in November 2014
- Venables AdLaw Symposium in April 2016
- The Rocky Road for the FCC’s Interpretation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act in 2016 Live webcast in April 2016
- ACI Residential Mortgage Litigation & Regulatory Enforcement in Washington, D.C.-April 2016
- Speaker at ACI Conference in Dallas, TX in September of 2016 concerning The
Borrower’s Perspective: Insight From The Plaintiffs’; Bar and Consumer Advocates
- Speaker on TCPA panel in September of 2016 at the Annual Consumer Financial Services
- Speaker at the 2016 CAOC Conference in November of 2016
- Made regular presentations to community organizations regarding debt
collection laws and consumer rights, including the Telephone Consumer
Protection Act (“TCPA”). These organizations include Whittier Law School,
Iranian American Bar Association, Trinity School of Law and Chapman Law
School, University of California, Irvine, and California Western School of Law.
- I was the principle anchor on Time Television Broadcasting every Thursday night
as an expert on consumer law generally, and the TCPA specifically, between
2012 and 2013.
- I lectured in Class Action Trends at the CAOC 2015 Conference in San
- In May of 2016, I spoke on Class Action Trends at the CAOC seminar in
Palm Springs, California.
- I lectured on the TCPA before the ABA Business Law Section, Consumer
Financial Services Committee? in January 2016 at an event in Utah entitled,
“Impact? of the FCC’s 2015 ?Rulings on TCPA Litigation?.”
- In 2016, I wrote an article entitled “Finding a Balance” that was published in
the Nutrition Business Journal, concerning a lawsuit filed under the
Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act.
- Guest speaker for legal analysis on popular television and radio shows such
as Dr. Drew Midday Live and Fox 5.
- I spoke on privacy rights on a panel before the California State Bar
Convention in 2016.
- In March of 2016, I moderated the Judges Panel on Class Action Trends and
Federal Litigation Trends at the NCLC Conference.
- Speaker at the Western Trial Lawyers Association conference on Class
Action Trends in 2017, held in Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
- Speaker at Consumer Attorneys of California 2017 seminar on hot litigation
topics at Lake Tahoe, Nevada.
- Speaker at National Webinar by the ABA Consumer Financial Services
Committee on TCPA Update – “The D.C. Circuit’s TCPA Decision on the
FCC Ruling, held on March 22, 2018.
- Spoke at 2018 Inland Empire CAOC Convention on “Class Action Hot
Topics” – May 2018.
- Speaker at national webinar sponsored by Ballard Spahr LLP, entitled, From
Both Sides: Plaintiff and Defense Perspectives on the TCPA – August 2018.
- On October 10, 2018, I was one of the two panelist and spoke at a webinar
entitled, TCPA Takes A New Turn With the 9 th Circuit’s Ruling in Marks v.
Crunch San Diego, LLC, hosted by the Consumer Financial Services
Committee of the American Bar Association.
- Panelist at the Consumer Financial Services Committee meeting entitled,
TCPA Litigation: Where Is It Heading Now?, held on January 11, 2019.
- Spoke on the Fundamentals of thee FDCPA at NCLC 2019 Las Vegas
- Spoke on “The interplay between Personal Injury and Class Actions” at the
CAOC Sonoma Seminar 2019.
- Presented at Mass Torts Made Perfect on Modern Trends in the TCPA in
April of 2019.
- Speaker at the CAOC Inland Empire Seminar in Palm Springs on “Dealin
with Overly Ambitious Lien Holders, on May 2, 2019.
- Super Lawyer, 2013-2016
- Voted as a Rising Star by the San Diego Daily Transcript in 2012
- Nominated to Top 40 under 40 by The National Trial Lawyers
- Wiley W. Manuel Award by State Bar of California for Pro Bono Work, 2017;
- Voted Rising Star in Super Lawyers Magazine, 2013-2015;
- Voted a Super lawyer in Super Lawyer Magazine 2016-2019;
- Voted Rising Star by San Diego Transcript in 2012;
- Nominated to Top 40 under 40 by The National Trial Lawyers 2018-2019.
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, member
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Diversity Chair and Board Member from 2013-present
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association, member
- Orange County Chapter of Iranian American Bar Association, two time president, 2009-2010
- American Association for Justice
- Orange County Trial Lawyers Association
- 40-50 hours a year to legal aid
- Phi Alpha Delta