How The FCRA Can Help You
When it comes to your credit, information is of the utmost importance. Inaccurate information about past and current debts, current credit and other important aspects of your credit can have disastrous consequences. You could see a lower credit score, along with the inability to obtain further credit and other financial issues. Recognizing this issue, Congress passed the Fair Credit Reporting Act in 1970 to address the fairness, accuracy, and privacy of the personal information contained in the files of the credit reporting agencies. The FCRA also guarantees consumers the right to obtain a free, full credit report from each of the 3 major credit bureaus every year by visiting www.annualcreditreport.com.
At Kazerouni Law Group, APC, we fight for people just like you throughout California. Our attorneys have a thorough understanding of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and other legislation enacted to protect debtors. We take a strategic, aggressive approach and our lawyers will fight to protect you against violations of the FCRA. Under the FCRA, you can receive up to $1,000 for each violation or error on your report.
Common violations of the FCRA include:
- Old information furnished as new information. Failure to update reports after completion of bankruptcy is just one example. Agencies might also report old debts as new and report a financial account as active when it was closed by the consumer.
- Creditors give reporting agencies inaccurate financial information about you.
- Reporting agencies mixing up one person’s information with another’s because of similar (or same) last name or social security number.
- Agencies fail to follow guidelines for handling disputes.
- Pulling your report for an impermissible purpose. For instance, viewing a credit report to determine if you have assets before filing certain kinds of lawsuits.
- Failing to send you notifications about your credit report or score in violation of the FCRA.
- Reporting agencies providing information to unauthorized persons or businesses.
If you have experienced any of the above issues, or have seen other errors on your credit report, Kazerouni Law Group can help you. Most FCRA litigation costs our clients nothing, and if successful can fix your credit and provide you with statutory damages of up to $1000 for each violation.